EMAIL NEWSTo receive email news, click here.
Visitor News Bulletin Archives
RESOURCESVisitor News Website
Planned Giving & Trust Services
Columbia Union Annual Reports
2012 Special Constituency
2012 Circonscription Spéciale
Constituyente especial del 2012
Calendar of Offerings
CONTACT US5427 Twin Knolls Road
Columbia, MD 21045
Tel: (410) 997-3414
Tel: (301) 596-0800
Mon - Thur, 8 am - 5:30 pm
5 Ways Kenhorst Builds Community RelationshipsUse these tips to build relationships in your community
Written by Debra McKinney Banks; Photo by Tamyra Horst
1. Build trust. Don’t expect them to accept you with open arms initially. Be friendly and approachable.
2. Be patient—it will take some time. Christ’s method alone will bring true success. Spend time getting to know the community’s needs, and then meet them.
3. Don’t reinvent the wheel. Consider volunteering with an already established nonprofit ministry or service agency.
4. Provide transportation. Many people don’t have reliable transportation. Figure out a way to meet these needs with a reliable, insured vehicle. You could even establish a carpool schedule.
5. Know someone on the inside. Consider the race, culture and/or language dynamics of the community. Establish a contact who is already a part of the community.
Want to see more Visitor articles? See a full PDF of the October issue here.
COMMENTS POLICY: The Columbia Union Conference Visitor encourages quality conversation and welcomes your thoughtful comments. All comments are subject to approval but will not be edited. Please limit your comments to 500 words or less. Only one comment per person will be published.