News

“Nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You” (2 Chron. 20:12, NKJV).

Once I “found” this verse, it became a favorite of mine. One Bible that I own is full of verses colored in blue to remind me of God’s special promises. This is one of those special verses that has not only helped me handle those tough moments in life, but I believe it has also strengthened those with whom I’ve shared this verse.

Why do we think we can go through life without leaning on the Lord for His guidance and deliverance? My husband, Dan, and I have faced some pretty tough situations in life—dead-end battles—or so they’ve seemed. But I’ve discovered that, as our walk with God continues, we need to keep our eyes on Him and go along for the ride. It’s not always easy though.

Image from iStock

“For I know the plans I have for you ... plans to prosper you and not to harm you ... to give you hope and a future” (Jer. 29:11, NIV).

The biochemistry textbook was thick and assignments ominous. My primary question was not Will I survive this class? but Is this even necessary?

Though I had weathered challenges before, the horror stories about my university’s Biochemistry course alarmed me. A graduating senior, I was already swamped by other academic and extracurricular commitments.

Embarking on a detailed, fast-paced journey, I increasingly appreciated how biology and chemistry intertwined. I had a C, however, which terrified me. God, what is happening? I began to ask.

Image from iStock

“Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in Thy presence is fullness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore” (Ps. 16:11, KJV).

My mother’s passing at the age of 91 was “lost” in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, but I remember her and her great personal sacrifice when our father returned from the Vietnam War in 1968, only to abandon the family 10 days later.

The text says that God will “shew me the path of life,” but for a 15-year-old whose life had just imploded, I could not see my way forward. Thank God for a mother with a deep faith and a desire to follow truth wherever it led.

We're going to dig deeper into this conversation Friday evening at 7:30 p.m. on VNL. Are there any questions YOU have for these pastors? Anything you've noticed along this topic? Join us here or on facebook.com/columbiaunionvisitor.

Join our conversation with Pastor Heather Crews, Pastor Cesar Gonzales, Volunteer Lay Pastor Lance Moncrieffe, Columbia Union Executive Secretary Rick Remmers and Pastoral Assistant Naomi Tricomi.

Image from iStock

“The Sovereign Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to tread on the heights” (Hab. 3:19, NIV).

There have been times when my trust in God was in a frequent seesaw. My trust soared high when my circumstances were the way I desired and dipped low when God did not come through for me as I asked Him to. I even questioned whether His promises were real.

Image from iStock

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world” (John 16:33, NKJV).

In February 2020, my husband, Kevin, and I committed to a new adventure. We moved from Dayton, Ohio, to Washington, D.C., as I started my new job as the CEO of Howard University Hospital. This new position, arguably the greatest challenge of my career, required peace and courage to perform the task. And then entered COVID-19.

Image from iStock

“Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective” (James 5:16, NIV).

At any time or any place, someone is praying. These are known as “expected prayers”—at church, before meals or during pastors’ visits. Such was the case when I visited a member the night before open-heart surgery.

We spoke and prayed over his concerns and the comforting hope found in his medical team and his faith.

Image from iStock

“You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You” (Isa. 26:3, NKJV).

My favorite and most comforting verse in the Bible is Isaiah 26:3. This text brought me peace of mind after I completed writing “love letters” to my husband and children, encouraging them and expounding on how much I loved them and sharing my hopes for their future.

Image from iStock

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take” (Prov. 3:5–6, NLT).

Becoming a widow has presented challenges that require my total dependence upon God. It set me on a journey that I never expected to take, nor would I have chosen—but God is in control. I said, “OK, Lord. Take it all, but please don’t let my car break down.”

One day, I noticed my vehicle inspection was overdue, so I scheduled an appointment to renew my sticker. During the inspection, they also took care of a rattling sound that the car was making and ran a diagnostic test for a “Check Engine” light. When they finished, the repairs were more than $1,000!