Official Statement: Columbia Union Constituency Overwhelmingly Approves Ordination Without Regard to Gender
In a specially called session of the Columbia Union Conference Constituency, delegates from its eight conferences voted overwhelmingly to approve a recommendation from the union executive committee authorizing ordination without regard to gender. The historic vote was 209 in favor and 51 opposed, with nine abstentions—a ratio of 4 to 1.
The approved motion states:
“That the Columbia Union Conference authorize ordination to the gospel ministry without regard to gender.”
This means that the union will no longer deny requests from conferences to ordain proven female ministers to the gospel ministry.
“There was a good spirit and healthy discussion, all bathed in prayer,” says Dave Weigley, union president. “We remain part of, united with, and fully committed to the mission of the worldwide Seventh-day Adventist Church.”
The four-hour meeting was streamed live and will be available shortly at www.columbiaunion.org/2012specialconstituency. A news story and photos will be published at www.columbiaunion.org and in the August Visitor.
The Columbia Union Conference is comprised of 135,000 members who worship in more than 700 churches in the eight local conferences located in the Mid-Atlantic United States. Its members minister through 90 elementary and secondary schools, a university, a medical college, two healthcare networks and numerous community-focused ministries.
Contact: Celeste Ryan Blyden, Communication Director
Tel: (410) 997-3414; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
GET MORE: 5 Ways to Access and Share This News
1. We will post the above statement and relaunch our comments section on our website at www.columbiaunion.org/2012specialconstituency. (tonight)
2. You can visit our Facebook (Columbia Union Visitor) and Twitter (@VisitorNews and #ColumbiaUnion) pages to see the newsfeeds and comments posted today (available now).
3. You can visit our homepage to see a news story and slide show at www.columbiaunion.org (tonight).
4. You can read about it in our August Visitor magazine going to press tomorrow.
5. You can watch the entire archive of the live stream on our webpage at www.columbiaunion.org/2012specialconstituency. (Monday)
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here to read it online. For more news and up-to-date information from the Columbia Union Conference, visit columbiaunion.org
Forward to a Friend, Subscribe or Send Us Stories
To share the Visitor News Bulletin with friends and church members across the Columbia Union, click the “Forward to a Friend” link below so all the photos and copy will appear correctly. Also, encourage them to sign up for the email at www.columbiaunion.org/emailnews.
To send us a news story, email us at email@example.com. The deadline for all submissions is 10 a.m. each Tuesday.
Visitornews mailing list
|This message was sent to from Columbia Union, 5427 Twin Knolls Road,, Columbia, MD 21045.|
Edit profile / unsubscribe