News

Bookmark and Share

Allegheny East's 24-Hour Prayer Line Provides Comfort

Story by Samantha Blake
Published 7/11/2012

Attendees to Miracle Temple’s recent prayer summit witnessed many miracles.

“Does anyone on the line have something on their heart they’d like to pray for?” asks a prayer facilitator for a 24-hour prayer line.

“My mother just passed away this morning,” a caller responds. “I want to ask God to be with me.”

As prayer is requested, so it is received. On the telephone, prayer facilitators, who volunteer to be on the 24-hour prayer line, provide a listening ear for callers who desire prayer or who want to voice their testimonies of praise. Facilitators also share Bible texts to provide encouragement and inspiration for those in need of God’s word.

The prayer line is a community of callers, and it is run like a prayer group. Callers can stay on the line with unspoken requests as they listen in to those who make their requests heard, or they can unmute their line by dialing *62 and voice what God has placed on their hearts.

In a two-week period, the prayer line receives phone calls from more than 5,000 people worldwide, with calls coming in from Jamaica, Africa and Australia.

Eight churches within the Allegheny East Conference operate the prayer line. These churches include the Miracle Temple in Baltimore, Md.; Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.; Emmanuel in St. Leonard, Md.; Breath of Life in Fort Washington, Md.; Mitchellville in Largo, Md.; Fourth Street Friendship in Washington, D.C.; First church in Washington, D.C.; and Pisgah in Bryans Road, Md. Each church hosts the prayer line for 40 days, and during those 40 days, prayer facilitators are asked to fast, not only from foods, but from things that can distract the heart, such as watching television and reading certain books.

Each hour at the prayer line is devoted to a focus, such as family, children and youth, unity and fellowship, salvation, health and healing, power to rebuke the devil, bondage and addiction, marriage, finance and ministry for the incarcerated.

The idea for the prayer line began when founder Dexter Ravenell, Miracle Temple’s prayer minister and an ordained elder, recognized the need for more prayer in church. Ravenell attended a prayer meeting at Brooklyn Tabernacle (N.Y.), where more than 4,000 people were present for prayer meeting every Tuesday night. Impressed by the power of the Lord, Ravenell shares, “I was just so awestruck by the very presence of God that I [thought] ‘I’d like the church that I belong to, to have prayer be a priority.’”

After experiencing the Brooklyn Tabernacle prayer meetings, Ravenell returned to the D.C.-Baltimore area with a passion for prayer. Ultimately, the 24-Hour prayer line was birthed at Miracle Temple. And, with the help of Chaplain Saundra Austin, who is a member of the Capitol Hill church as well an elder and prayer coordinator, the prayer line has blossomed. Churches outside of the Seventh-day Adventist denomination have also gotten involved.

The churches have even presented prayer opportunities outside of the line, including a prayer cruise and most recently, a prayer summit at Miracle Temple. Ravenell shares that the church was able to witness firsthand the power of prayer. “Things that we were praying for, just broke out,” he says. During the summit more than 50 people were healed. Those who went up to the altar with a walker and cane, returned back to their seats without their aids. Ravenell also shares that a boy who was registered at a school for the blind, got his sight back on the day of the summit.

Since 2011 the prayer line has remained a full-time commitment. Austin says, “God answers prayers, and we definitely change lives on this 24-hour prayer line.”

To call the line, dial (805) 309-2350 and use access code 1001844#.

Dexter Ravenell, Miracle Temple’s prayer minister, founded the prayer line along with Saundra Austin, prayer minister for the Capitol Hill church.

Sharon Pruitt became a member of the Fourth Street Friendship church after joining the 24-hour prayer line.

COMMENTS POLICY: The Columbia Union Conference Visitor encourages quality conversation and welcomes your thoughtful comments. All comments are subject to approval. Please limit your comments to 500 words or less.

Join in the discussion:

Celine
2012-11-25 5:33 AM

Please pray for the unhappy girls or women of Thailand or else who prostitute.

juliette
2012-12-03 12:05 PM

Please pray for the little children who need prayers.
Thank you .

daniel
2012-12-08 1:09 PM

Please pray that the devil be defeated in every churches thank you.

for Marcel Vervloesem
2012-12-13 6:48 AM

Together pray with us to free an innocent man.

Please see what he have done already for children of his country. Thank you.

Tracy
2012-12-17 11:39 PM

My prayer request is to overcome the Spirit of Gluttony.  My overcoming will allow me to be Raptured.  Thank-you.  My situation is extreme and dire in nature.  I am a former Prophetess and Seer of the Great and most terrible God Yahweh.  For it is He who lays down and brings up.  It is He who gives air, water, and life.  It is He who takes life.  IT IS HE WHO HAS THE POWER OVER THE SILVER CORD!  It is He who can recreate the silver cord after cutting it.  For His word says that His eye is upon those who hope in His mercy (Psalm 33:18) and 'For with God nothing shall be impossible.' (Luke 1:37).

marc
2012-12-18 8:47 AM

Would you please pray for the Jews they need them thank you.

Diana
2012-12-19 9:47 AM

After having a root cannel I began hurting with a dull pain on left side of my face. This went on for a year then I had a filling around July 2012 & I begin to hurt like another abscess but the dentist says there is nothing . He gave me an antibiotic & it almost killed me (I have serious problems with most drugs) after recovering from the antibiotic the pain moved to my ears & my other teeth. My ears stopped up & were Ringing all the time. got better.The pain is less sometimes & horrible at others.Now it has gotten really bad & my ears have stopped up again & constant Ringing. I have No Insurance. This is horrible. I cannot live like this.I feel totally lost & helpless.

Deborah
2013-01-16 11:53 PM

Please pray for Gods holy will to be done in me and my entire family life and all who are in the Valley of decision thank you and we are keeping You lifted in our humble prayers too..Maranatha !

Deborah
2013-01-16 11:53 PM

laura limbal
2013-01-27 10:51 PM

Pls pray for Enga west to be healed of cancer, she's at st Barnabas hospital in ICU in livingston, NJ. Thank you GOD BLESS

laura limbal
2013-01-27 10:51 PM

bill smith
2013-01-29 11:15 PM

There are so many children abuse by the internet please pray for them.

Peebee
2013-02-23 5:27 PM

Please pray that my friendship be restored that the Lord mend what hbeen broken and bring about restoration. I am standing in the gap and awaits my friend to join me so that full restoration can be experienced.

brigitte falaen
2013-03-17 9:01 AM

I pray that many people in church don't forget to give their offering to My God. Amen

hilda
2013-04-08 10:52 AM

Please Jesus be The Lord in our hearts. Amen.

Kim
2013-04-27 10:21 AM

My aunt recently got a stroke and now recovering. But it seems like she is giving up and have no hope at all please pray for her please her name is Melita Kim Wong  please pray for her thank you

Heidj
2013-07-27 1:28 PM

Ft job n pray to start new job this week ft alot of hours

Heidi
2013-07-27 2:17 PM

Ft job lizzy heidj

Leo Sourisseau
2013-08-01 11:43 PM

Prayer Request for World Peace Now - I pray for world peace to be fully realized now, and for this peace to last forever after, and I ask for all of this in the Holy Name of Jesus. Amen.

Anonymous